×

Кавказский узел

Скачайте приложение — работает без VPN!
Скачать Скачать
03:30, 20 May 2026

Activists in Nalchik refused to change their plans for Adyghe Remembrance Day due to security forces' warnings.

Security officials, who are handing out warnings to activists in Nalchik against participating in unauthorized protests ahead of Adyghe Remembrance Day, cite orders "from above." Despite the warnings, the activists themselves intend to mark the anniversary with a traditional march.

As reported by "Caucasian Knot," a week before the Day of Remembrance for the Victims of the Caucasian War, celebrated on May 21, security officials began handing out warnings to residents of Kabardino-Balkaria against participating in the march commemorating this date. Human rights activists called on the head of the republic to intervene in the situation.

The Caucasian War, which lasted from 1763 to 1864, brought the Adyghe people to the brink of extinction. After the war and the mass deportation of the Adyghe to the Ottoman Empire, just over 50,000 remained in their homeland. Russian authorities have still not made a decision to recognize the Circassian genocide during the war, according to a report from the "Caucasian Knot." The end of the war was marked by a parade of Russian troops in Krasnaya Polyana on May 21, 1864.

Public figure Azamat Shormanov was among the activists to whom security forces wanted to hand an official warning ahead of Adyghe Remembrance Day. He told the "Caucasian Knot" that he "refused to meet with the local police officer so as not to have to take this piece of paper into his own hands."

“Officers from the Ministry of Internal Affairs’ Center for Extremism tried to hand me this piece of paper through the district police officer. I believe these are the same officers who wanted to give me a similar letter last year, but I refused both then and now. The police officer tried to meet with me and explained that there was nothing wrong with the paper: ‘I’ll give you an explanatory talk, hand you the paper, and you can sign it or not.’ I asked if I’d broken any laws, which is why they wanted to issue me a warning. He said no, and I refused to meet with him: he told me to send me a subpoena, and if there were any complaints against me, I’d come with my lawyer,” he said.

In a conversation with Shormanov, the police officer complained that he was being “under pressure from above.” "He said he was being pressured from above to meet with me and deliver it in person. My response was unchanged, and that's all for now. Last year, when they tried to deliver this warning, Center E officers also called, and then sent a local police officer to my parents' home—it's a psychological method, I think, exerting pressure through the parents. We know all parents are impressionable: they immediately became worried, thinking something serious had happened," he noted.

The security forces' activity did not affect Shormanov's plans to participate in the memorial events.

“I have never changed my opinion on this matter, so I will participate in the event as usual, within the legal framework. This event has been held since 2006. It is a mass event, and the main organizer and initiator of it is the people. The format of the event will also not change: it is a standard program in the form of a procession in national dress, people bring symbols of their family trees, and march with Circassian flags. People come with their families—the older generation, children, and young people. This is how it has been organized since 2006; now it is a multi-thousand-strong event, held solely at the initiative of the Circassian people. And I, as a public figure and as an ordinary citizen, part of this people, generally see only one format for this event. And the authorities must fulfill their obligations to ensure security and prevent any unlawful actions by provocateurs who may appear. But in the 20 years of my personal participation and observation of this event, there have been no such incidents.” " he emphasized.

One of the activists who received the warning provided the "Caucasian Knot" with a copy of the document handed to him by the local police officer. "The conversation was short: he read the letter and asked me to sign that I received it, but I refused, and he left," the activist said.

He also intends to participate in the event, despite the warning. "We are not breaking the law, we are not doing anything illegal, so this letter does not affect my plans in any way. It's a day off, and I have the right to do what I want—of course, strictly within the law," he said.

Participants in the action face criminal charges

The text of the letter handed to the activist stated that the prosecutor's office had received information about preparations for "mass public events" in Nalchik. The text completely omits any specific reference to the date, organizers, or historical context of the event, but does contain references to articles of the Code of Administrative Offenses of the Russian Federation and criminal law.

The warning contains an extensive list of regulations and specific articles, the violation of which will entail liability. Specifically, it cites Federal Law No. 54-FZ "On Assemblies, Rallies, Demonstrations, Marches, and Pickets" (regarding the prohibition of holding uncoordinated public events) and Article 20.2 of the Code of Administrative Offenses of the Russian Federation (Violation of the established procedure for organizing or holding an assembly, rally, demonstration, march, or picket). In warning of the risk of criminal prosecution, the prosecutor's office cites Article 212.1 of the Russian Criminal Code (Repeated violation of the established procedure for organizing or holding a meeting, rally, demonstration, march, or picket), as well as general provisions on liability for manifestations of extremism.

The document, signed by Zalikhanov, an employee of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation for Kabardino-Balkaria, concludes with an official warning: "In the event of ignoring the requirements and participating in uncoordinated mass actions, the person issued the warning will be held accountable in accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation."

A human rights activist called the security forces' visits intimidation

These "warnings" should be regarded as "a pure act of intimidation," according to Valery, head of the Human Rights Center of Kabardino-Balkaria. Khatazhukov..

"Their goal is simple and cynical: to intimidate people, sow fear, and discourage them from participating in the peaceful march on May 21st. The authorities know full well that there hasn't been a single violation of public order in all these years, but every year they hand out these papers, summon them to the police, and threaten arrests—so that citizens think, 'Will I lose my job? Will I get 10 days in jail? Maybe I'd better stay home?'" he told the "Caucasian Knot."

The human rights activist is confident that the authorities' calculations are misguided. According to Khatazhukov, "this kind of pressure produces the exact opposite effect."

"When they start intimidating people for wanting to honor the memory of their ancestors, it doesn't evoke fear in normal people, but rather outrage and solidarity. Incidents involving warnings and detentions are drawing the interest of even those previously unconcerned about this date. "So, the goal of warnings is to suppress the will, but the result will be the opposite. And people won't be stopped by trampling on the basic right to remembrance and peaceful assembly," Khatazhukov noted.

Particularly indignant and outraged is the fact that the authorities are resorting to pressure on Circassian activists in the historical homeland of the Adyghe, where their ancestors lived for centuries, and where their culture, language, and traditions were formed. "All over the world—in Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Germany, the United States—Adyghe have the opportunity to freely express their respects to the victims of the Caucasian War. However, it is precisely in their own homeland that they face annual obstacles. "This is something unimaginable and contrary to common sense," he emphasized.

Zaurbek Kozhev, a candidate of historical sciences who signed an appeal to the head of Kabardino-Balkaria calling for intervention, has not received a warning from security forces.

"I participate in these events every year, but no one bothers me with summonses or warnings. This year, I plan to participate as well, despite the massive summonses. Overall, I don't understand why the security forces start these actions every year in the lead-up to the events if people still participate and aren't afraid. I have a negative attitude toward this practice (of the security forces)," he told the "Caucasian Knot."

Kozhev doesn't rule out the possibility that the appeal to the head of the republic could influence the situation. "The memorial complex itself was opened under the father of the current head of the republic. This fact, I hope, will influence him. I hope that he has some personal connection to both this monument and the event, and that he will take appropriate measures,” the historian concluded.

"Caucasian Knot" wrote that on May 21, 2025, during a march with Circassian flags dedicated to the 161st anniversary of the end of the Caucasian War, at least eight people were detained in Nalchik. . They received three to ten days of administrative arrest under the article on participating in an unauthorized rally and obstructing traffic. The only woman of the eight detained, Marina Kalmykova, was released after three days of arrest on May 25. Khusein Gugov, Zuber Euaz, Timur Nakhushev, Kazbek Mamikov, and Bashir Yerokov were released on May 27, and Idar Tsipinov and Beslan Gedgafov was released later. Timur Nakhushev and Zuber Euaz appealed the decisions of the Nalchik City Court.

Translated automatically via Google translate from https://www.kavkaz-uzel.eu/articles/423387

Know more? Do not be silent!
Send a message, photo or video to the "Caucasian Knot" via messengers
Photos and videos for publication must be sent via Telegram, using the «File» option, or via WhatsApp - using the «Document» option. The buttons work if Telegram and WhatsApp are installed. The contact number for Telegram and WhatsApp is +49 1577 2317856.
LEGAL TEXTS
The illustration was created by the Caucasian Knot using AI The peace agreement between Armenia and Azerbaijan, as well as other documents signed at the meeting with Trump on August 8, 2025

The “Caucasian Knot" publishes the agreement on the establishment of peace and interstate relations between Azerbaijan and Armenia, which was initialed by Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on August 8, 2025, through the mediation of US President Donald Trump. The meeting of Trump, Aliyev and Pashinyan took place on August 8 in Washington. Following the meeting, Pashinyan and Aliyev also signed a joint declaration. In addition to the agreements between Armenia and Azerbaijan, Trump signed a number of separate memoranda with Aliyev and Pashinyan....

Personalities
Zelimkhan Khangoshvili. Photo courtesy of press service of HRC 'Memorial', http://memohrc.org/ Zelimkhan Khangoshvili

A participant of the second Chechen military campaign, one of the field commanders close to Shamil Basaev and Aslan Maskhadov. Shot dead in Berlin in 2019.

Magomed Daudov. Photo: screenshot of the video http://video.agaclip.com/w=atDtPvLYH9o Magomed Daudov

Magomed "Lord" Daudov is a former Chechen militant who was awarded the title of "Hero of Russia", the chairman of the Chechen parliament under Ramzan Kadyrov.

Tumso Abdurakhmanov. Screenshot from video posted by Abu-Saddam Shishani [LIVE] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIR3s7AB0Uw Tumso Abdurakhmanov

Tumso Abdurakhmanov is a blogger from Chechnya. After a conflict with Ramzan Kadyrov's relative, he left the republic and went first to Georgia, and then to Poland, where he is trying to get political asylum.